Drupal is an open source content management system (CMS) and is used for creating and managing many different websites. The stability, flexibility, safety and adaptability of Drupal is some of the reference points and nowadays is one of the most modern, convenient and functional content management tools and web development tools in the global market.
Drupals modular content management system allows the development of highly complex applications while creating an environment very easy to be managed by the site administrator.
1.1. Istology Web & Marketing Solutions and Drupal
Istology Web & Marketing Solutions exclusively uses Drupal to build websites and online shops providing our clients the best and most reliable open source solution for the management of their website content or their electronic shop (e-shop).
Drupal in Northen Greece and in Thessaloniki
Istology Web & Marketing Solutionsis one of the few companies in web design and online stores development area in Greece and especially in Thessaloniki using Drupal solely as a content management system.
Istology Web & Marketing Solutions having many years experience in web development in Drupal is able to serve customers worldwide.
1.2. Wolrdwide Drupal
Too many are examples of large sites worldwide that have been implemented in Drupal, such as the following:
- City of London (http://london.gov.uk/),
- Kofi Annan Foundation (http://kofiannanfoundation.org/),
- Le Figaro (http://www.lefigaro.fr/),
- Intel Corporation (http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/homepage.html),
- Fuji Film Corporation (http://www.myfinepix.com/)
- White House (http://www.whitehouse.gov/)
- Nokia Research Center (https://research.nokia.com/)
- Sanyo (http://www.sanyo.com.au/)
- Yahoo Labs (http://research.yahoo.com/)
- Warner Bros Records (http://www.warnerbrosrecords.com/)
- 20th Century Fox (http://www.foxmovies.com/)
- Δήμος Αθηναίων (https://www.cityofathens.gr/)
1.3. About Drupal
Drupal is a modular content management system (Content Management System, CMS) open/free software written in the PHP programming language. Drupal, like many modern CMS, allows the system administrator to organize content, customize the presentation, automate administrative tasks, and manage site visitors and those who contribute. Drupal is sometimes described as "infrastructure for Web applications," as capabilities go further than the content management, allowing a wide range of services and transactions.
1.4. Drupal Structure
Drupal has received praise from webmasters, designers and developers for the modular design, which provides the basic layer, or "core", to provide the basic features of Drupal in the default installation. Additional functionality and presentation features can extend the core of Drupal by adding appended units and thematic variations.
Drupal modules are used to "overcome" the built-in features of the core, thereby extending or replacing the default behavior of Drupal, without interference in the code of Drupal's core files. Custom themes that can be added without affecting the core of Drupal, using standardized forms that can be created by third party comanies.
1.5. History of Drupal
Originally written by Dries Buytaert as a bulletin board system, Drupal turned into open-source project in 2001. Drupal is the version in English of the Dutch word "druppel", which means "drop". The name was taken from the now outdated Drop.org website, whose code was developed in Drupal. The Buytaert wanted to call the site "dorp" (in Dutch means "village", referring to the community dimension), but made a typo in the domain name control process and he thought it sounded better.
1.6. Converting your website in Drupal
Drupal is the most powerful web development platform and online shops and the best solution for companies with regard to the management of their website content.
The advantages of using Drupal
- Unlimited scalability and flexibility
- Great community that supports and develops Drupal
- Reduced development time compared to private providers and systems
- Improved security through continuous updatesIndependence - free choice of provider and system maintainers
- Huge variety of applications for commercial, promotional and social sites
- Granular permissions management system
- Powerful content classification system
- Support multiple websites
- Multilingual support with content internationalization
- Nodes based system for embedding the content
- Extensible API with Hooks
- Override system for total control with theme
- Configurable content system for different content types
- Multiple fields to content types
- Automatically manage large volumes of data
- Possibility of data encryption
- Smart cache management
- Content workflows
- Manage content publishing